Sunday, October 21, 2012

Digger Costume Part 2

Halloween Costume Series #7

How to Make a Digger (Excavator) Costume Part 2


I have finished my 2 year old Adventurer's digger costume and it's turned out so well!  You can read all about its construction in my part 1 post.  The whole thing took around 4 hours not including the time it took to research and make the design or the paint dry time.  Allow yourself about 2 days to complete this project if you can only work on it intermittently like me.

But it's totally worth it right?


My Adventurer still hasn't seen it yet since I have a pretty good feeling that he will play with it until it breaks.  Halloween is still a week and a half away and so it's going to stay hidden until Halloween to keep it safe.  I can't wait to see his face when I give it to him!

So here's how I finished it:

When you last saw the digger it looked like this, construction completed, needing paint and finishing touches.

Here is what I've done since to finish it:












After consulting with a couple people, I decided to leave the tracks off the bottom.  They thought it looks good the way it is.  I'm not completely convinced of this, but for now at least I'm leaving them off.  If I change my mind, I will update this post.

Looks great, Right?  

The bigger picture was taken after trick or treating for a half hour.  He was a little worn out.
But he really loved his costume and is still playing with it.  


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever. He will look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness! Cute! Cute! Cute! My 3 1/2 year old wants to be an excavator for Halloween this year...so guess what I'm making. I hope you don't mind that I'm going to use your concept. Can't wait! He's going to be so thrilled! Oh..and I hope you don't mind that I may have to ding you with questions for help also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it. I hope you enjoy making one for your son! Yes, feel free to ask me any questions if you run into bumps along the way! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm DONE!! Finally after 4 weeks! BIG THANK YOU for letting me use your concept and also for your wonderful instructions! My son loves it! But I think I made it a little to big...especially the arm!! It just looks so much bigger in your picture. It'll be funny watching my son try to walk around in it...and most likely hitting everyone in the process with the excavator's arm. LOL!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!! I'm sure it looks amazing! I bet he'll get lots of comments. You don't see too many of these walking around on Halloween. I wouldn't mind him bumping into me!

      Delete
  5. Heyy.... i am an indian and i am so happy nd thankful to you that you posted this step by step instruction of making excavator costume. It was really a big help. I am making this for my 3 yrs old son for his fancy dress competition in school. Excavator has been his favourite toy and he would love to dress up like one. Thanks a lot once again.

    ReplyDelete