Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Homemade Playfort/Shade Area For Our Backyard

Remember how in my last post I mentioned that I really wanted a shady place where my boys could play in the newly fenced in back yard?  Well, I've been throwing design plans at my husband for weeks now usually to be met with shrugs and grunts - which is actually a pretty typical response for my  "silent type" guy.  Then I mentioned I was thinking we could make it out of PVC pipe and he lit up.  I searched the web for plans of what I was thinking, but he just waved me off and declared he'd figure it out himself and make it that weekend.  SQUEEE!! Who knew PVC pipe could be such a motivator?

So that Saturday morning he headed off to the home improvement store and came home with all his needed pipes and fittings.

  Some measuring, cutting, tinkering, and a few hours later...




a fantastic looking fort and a shade for two curious little boys and one hot momma (and that's hot with one t, lol).

My husband made the house about 6 ft square and it's probably over 6 feet at its highest point. The walls are about 3 1/2 feet high. 

We assembled the whole thing and glued only certain sections of it (the front and back "walls") to make sure it was more sturdy for our rough and tumble boys, but we can still disassemble it to store it for winter or in advance of a big storm. 


We put a tarp over it temporarily until I make something fitted (and neutral colored) in its place. We tied the tarp down with cords so the wind doesn't take it down the street. You could also just use bed sheets and take them down when you aren't using the fort.

 We also put steaks at the four corners and tied it to the ground. It's light weight enough to topple in the wind or be blown around the yard. Since we're keeping this out all season, it needed to be tied down. 

And there you have it.  Pretty simple and easy to make (probably why my husband jumped on it with such enthusiasm).

It's been up for over a week now and the boys love it, and so do I!  When we make our sand box, we can put the tent over it.  Or when we fill our pool we can put the tent over it.  Or when we have a picnic outside... you get the picture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment