Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Homemade Pop Tarts


I haven't talked about it yet on my blog, but in addition to my other crafty pursuits, I also love to cook and bake.  I enjoy coming up with fun things to make for my family and within the last year or so I've been trying my hand at more and more replication recipes.  That is, making things that taste like the nostalgic processed food I can get in the store (minus the yucky extras I get with them). Or I might make things that I've only seemed to have tasted in a restaurant but don't want to spend the extra money, or the stress of taking the littles, to have some.

Today I'm going to try my hand at homemade toaster pastries.  I searched for a long time to find a recipe that I felt tasted like a pop tart and not like a tiny flat pie.  Not that a tiny flat pie wouldn't be very good to eat on a busy morning, but it wouldn't be a pop tart.  It comes down to the pastry dough.  Is it a light and flaky pie dough? Or is it the more dense and sweeter cookie-like dough found in a pop-tart?  If you want to limit your sugar intake, this may not be what you're looking for, but I'm not.  I want a cookie!  LOL!  I gave up my search of the perfect mock pop tart and started a search for a cookie-like pastry crust which led me to this recipe from A Crafty Cook which is a french pastry given to her by a lady from France and tastes like a sugar cookie.  Score!  I did edit her measurements slightly, since the original recipe was in metric.  So without further ado, here is my brand new homemade toaster pastry recipe. :)  (My first blogged recipe ever!)


This recipe yields about 8 3x4 inch pastries.

For the pastry:
2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 c (one stick) butter softened**
2 egg yolks
2 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

For the filling:
Your favorite jam (used my great-grandmother's rhubarb jam! Yummy and so unexpected!)

For the glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
2-3 Tbs. milk
dollop of jam used in filling (optional)
vanilla or other extract

pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.  In a medium bowl mix ingredients and beat for 30 seconds with an electric mixer, or by hand until all the ingredients form a ball.  (If you are making this on a warm day, you make find it easier to work with the dough if it has been chilled before you roll it.)  Roll out to 1/4 in and cut lengthwise into  3 inch strips, then cut widthwise every 4 inches to make rectangles.  Place half the rectangles on a rimmed cookie sheet (use a silpat or parchment paper for easier clean up). Spoon 1-2 tablespoons onto them, and cover each filled rectangle with one of the remaining rectangles, press the edges all around with a fork making sure to get a good seal, and pierce each completed pastry a few times with a fork.  Bake for 14-18 minutes until the edges are starting to brown.


While the pastry cools make the glaze (if you want them glazed) by adding a little milk to some powdered sugar.  You can make it as thin or thick as you like by adding more milk or more sugar.  Add a dollop of jam for color and flavor, and/or add an extract like vanilla. Drizzle or spread over each pastry.  You can add sprinkles too for that authentic look!

Double or triple the batch and throw them all in the freezer for a toaster treat on any busy morning or lazy afternoon! :)

**for the same flavor with a light and flakey crust, cut in cold butter with dry ingredients until crumbly, then add eggs, milk and vanilla and mix until just combined.  Make pastries as directed then chill for an hour. Bake as directed.




My boys helped me make these and then gobbled them up as soon as they were cool enough.  They were and instant hit at my house!  They tasted just like a real pop tart and 20 times better!  The rhubarb jam was a fantastic call.  I highly recommend it if you have some laying around.   

1 comment:

  1. The thing with pop tarts is I always only eat the top parts!  じ

    ReplyDelete